Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Today, technology has come full circle. I found a post on Linux Today [Link] in which the author describes a game system where the user can insert a dvd and boot from it to play their games. The operating system is completely embedded on the dvd. As the author puts it,
You simply insert the DVD, boot up your computer and start playing. No fuss, no muss.
The bootable game dvd bears a strong resemblance to the Amiga I used to own. One of the most striking features of which was the pile of perhaps 700 floppies needed to store all of the games I had. Simply insert one of the disks, and the Amiga would boot the game. Even Amiga OS was found on a boot-disk. Although the It is interesting that now we may return to storing our data in physical media again. Excuse me, I'm going to reboot and play Urban Terror. They should add a browser so I can surf the internet without rebooting. Maybe even a text editor. And Photoshop. And maybe even-- Oh... Wait...

1 comment:

  1. Say what you like, but I think the Commodore Amiga ROCKED!!!!

    -Sean Goerling
    the Lord of Up

    ReplyDelete